Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Next Year in Jerusalem!

One year ago today I was at the airport in Charlotte waiting to board the plane that would take me to New York to then board the plane that would transport me to a place that would carve out a spot in my heart like I never knew a place so monotonously colored could.

Israel.

Sometimes I recall it so vividly, when I wake from my daydream I am stunned I am not actually there. Sometimes it seems so distant I wonder if it really happened. I often think about the delicious food and the interesting art, hoping that someday I will see and taste it again.

The past year has been an interesting year.

The past year has taught me many things. But one thing it has not done is lessen my desire to return to that land where so much of history centers.

After a year, looking at the pictures still fills me with deep longing for something I cannot place. I stumbled upon a blog today that someone else wrote about Gethsemene and it immediately brought tears to me eyes.

So rich, so full of story and life and things that I will never understand.

Dad, Uncle Paul and I have talked of plans to return next year, in 2014. I do hope it happens.

So maybe next year in Jerusalem we will be, but for now I will just hold tight to the memories and deep longings that I cannot place until I can return again to such a beautiful land.

5 comments:

  1. Or you could come see me in Nepal :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I can just do a really big trip and see both of you and go to Israel and Greece and all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting too old and panicky to fly like you're talking [each news story of ten hours on the tarmac & illegal to leave the plane guarantees no flights for me for a decade] but you can fly for me - and post about it. OK?

    ReplyDelete