Friday, April 19, 2013

Just Keep Running

There were a few things on a list of which I thought I would never say in life.  But, somewhat out of nowhere to me, in the past year or two, this list is changing. Some of which are seemingly drastic on many fronts.

One of those things I thought I would never say is:

I love running.

(and by running I mean jogging at a possibly slower than average pace)

Just this week I was trying to focus on some homework for a class I am taking and I just couldn't do it. All I wanted to do was lace up my lost and found running shoes and head to the trail around the lake. So, I did, because trying to read when I cannot focus is futile in most cases.

And, after that run, I was pleased to have done it.

After every run I am pleased to have done it.

With this new love of running comes a new set of activities in life. Some would call them races. I won't because I doubt I will ever be in the shape it takes to win. But races they are none the less and I have begun researching and planning and considering budget issues and how many in the next year would be feasible.

So far, I have completed one and our team came in somewhere in the middle of the crowd. Which, in my opinion, was not bad for a team of girls who had never really done anything of the sort before. We did the Goodwill Mud Run, and it was a blast! I could not have had a better team of girls to complete it with.

 
Next up on the so called race list is the Swamp Rabbit 5k at the beginning of May. This should be a fun run as many of my friends in the area will be doing it too.
 
And for the fall on the list we are toying with the idea of the Table Rock 15k. The goal for this one would be to not die and actually complete it. But I really like running on trail as compared to paved path, so this might just be my thing. Also for the fall is a half marathon. I haven't picked one yet, but will likely start the training process for that as the summer season starts up here in a few weeks. 

So to those of you that have more experience in this than I do, I would love any helpful hints or suggestions to help me continue to grow in my love of running and maybe someday be able to legitimately say running rather than jogging slightly faster than I can walk.



5 comments:

  1. Hahaha I say the same thing about my speed of "running" in fact when I ran the flying pig at times their were speed walking grandmas going faster than my "run" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps there's a great Columbus half marathon with no hills that I would consider training for :) and running with you it's near my birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... a run where you hope you don't die. Not sure how I feel about that one. I do think it is cool when a run is tied to a charity event. That's just double good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are getting into running! Some issues have me sidelined at present, but I never give up on the idea of getting back to it. I always ran at what I called a "conversational pace." If I couldn't talk to my running partner (or myself) without huffing and puffing, I was going too fast. Sometimes if I were on a track, though, I did enjoy full-out sprints and even ran the steps at Denison one summer. No only do you feel noble when you finish, you are doing great things for your body, right?

    That said, the "lost and found" running shoes trouble me, dear heart. Make sure you are getting enough support from them, okay? You can injure yourself and end up quitting. Besides, you know you have an aunt who loves to buy you shoes. Just sayin'. Jeff even said, "Tell Hannah we will get her great running shoes."

    So, think about it, anyway, okay?

    ReplyDelete