Friday, April 26, 2013

Bakla-awesome

Part of my 30 by 30 challenge is adventurous eating. The parameters of this are: go to a new restaurant each month, try one new recipe from a different country each month, and eat anything offered to me that is new and different.

I haven't had all that many new and different things offered but I did get to try a secret family recipe of one David J Broughton, known as the cinnamon tea ring. It was delicious.

My restaurant of choice was Greenfield's Bagel and Deli. I was running low on time to accomplish this task, so I needed something quick and easy. While out running errands I stopped in to grab a bagel, cranberry orange was my choice. As it turns out this place has a great selection of Mediterranean things and I hope to get back to try some other things on their menu in the near future.

 
My recipe of choice was baklava. I found one titled easy baklava on the Internet and thought it was appropriate for the first attempt. I researched the history of baklava a little and it is a toss up between Greece and Turkey for country of origin. Thus I am choosing to say the country this month is Turkey. Mostly because there are other Greek things I would like to try.

 
Baklava is a rather time consuming endeavor, but I would say worth it. I think it took about 2 hours start to finish.

 
While eating it, I said to Steph, 'Is this what baklava is supposed to taste like?' And she replied, 'if it's not, then I don't want baklava.' So whether it's good baklava or not, I'm not sure. But whatever it is, it is quite tasty. And maybe a little better the second day as it has had time to absorb it's own gooey goodness.

 
And with that I can check adventurous eating off the list for April. If you have any recipe or Greenville-ish restaurant suggestions for May, I would be glad to hear them!

1 comment: