Monday, April 29, 2013

It's not time to worry yet

In to Kill a Mockingbird (a new favorite of mine) Atticus Finch often tells Jem and Scout "it's not time to worry yet".

I like this.

To have the wisdom and composure of his character in the time and place he did would be of great aspiration to me.

To know when indeed it is not time to worry yet would make life so much brighter.

I devoured this book at each chance I could. Even telling my mom I would rather not talk until it is dark and I can no longer read on the ride to Ohio. (I cheated and used my head lamp and read anyway.)

It covers many issues and ideas that I have never really personally dealt with. And it covers them in such a way that a child can understand. I often forgot that the narrator of the story was around 7 years old.

Part of me wishes it had been handed to me to read earlier in life, but part of me is very glad it waited until now to make an appearance.

I hope that the mantra "it's not time to worry yet" can stick in my mind as a standard of thoughts and that as I continue to grow up I can exemplify the integrity and character that is present in this wonderful story.

2 comments:

  1. If you weren't going to talk to me...then I'm glad you gleaned a great thought from the book. One of my favorites. I too read it late in life- It's a good reminder of what Jesus said about worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that could be the other side of the coin for Mark Twain's "I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened."

    ReplyDelete