Monday, April 25, 2016

Why I Blog

Sometimes I think blogging is silly and a little narcissistic. Why would people want to know my thoughts or experiences? Maybe I shouldn't waste the time or space on the World Wide Web.
But then the Facebook On This Day app shows me a blog I wrote 2 or 3 or 4 years ago. 
(It doesn't show much from a year ago because I wasn't blogging. Because I didn't have much positive or thoughtful to say at the time or energy to sit and write)
The blogs that pop up remind me of things. Of places I've traveled. Of feelings I've felt. Of thoughts I've dwelt on and worked through. Of the many wonderful and adventurous and everyday experiences I've had.
Most recently they remind me that the feelings of late are feelings I've had before.
When there was a major relational shift because the single girls dear to me have gotten married and are now wives and I am still here hoping to someday have that for myself. And while being exceedingly happy for them, knowing it's never going to be the same as when we were roommates and valentine dates. (ref: Seasonal Shifts)

Lindsey (beloved roommate of 2012-13), Ashley (longest lasting adult friendship I have),
and Aly (my go to dancing and dinner gal)

The ones about job shifts and leaving and changing and looking. And though I love my job now, being reminded it's still not the thing in life that will fulfill. (ref: Commitment, Transitions and Satisfaction; Already, but Not Yet)

And the travels and adventures. The longing to do more and see more. But remembering I have done lots and have seen lots. (ref: We Went to the UK: Edinburgh; Why Israel?; To Maine and Back in a Day; I think I'll go to Boston; Up, Up and Away)

Edinburgh, Scotland; Jerusalem, Israel; Portland, Maine; Boston, Massachusetts;Eleuthera, Bahamas
I blog to remember.
To know on the days I'm questioning and longing and occasionally sinking that I have hope and experiences and memories that are worth having and never worth trading.
On days I wake up and I'm 32 and realize I have not put much (or any) intentionality into finding a forever companion and wonder, am I too late, have I missed my chance? It reminds me I was taking other chances, I was making my own way. I was (and am) growing and becoming a better version of myself. And can still hope that, just maybe, my forever travel buddy and adventure friend and struggle through things with person is out there somewhere adventuring and becoming a better version too.
And sometimes I write in hopes of encouraging and inspiring. Hoping someone might read and feel not as alone or have a laugh at my silly meanderings or that they can take a risk like flying to the UK with someone they have only met twice!
To remember, to not forget, to encourage, to hope.
That's why I blog.

And, really, I blog because my mom and Aunt Kris encouraged and asked me to : )

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm crying now. Love this blog! You always inspire and remind me that my years of mothering were and continue to be precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just caught this today. I am glad your mom and I have encouraged you to blog, and gladder still that you've honored us by keeping at it. I have valued your words so many times. I truly believe you should always be writing, no matter where life takes you. Love you bunches, Kiddo!

    ReplyDelete