Friday, April 22, 2016

Why the H?

Recently, a new friend asked why I capitalize the H at the end of my name and not the beginning.

To which I responded with thanks for noticing, an explanation and moved him into the category of people I like more than others because he noticed and cared to know why. (If you have asked or noticed or taken to writing my name that way as well, know that you are in that group too!)

But really, why do you write your name that way, you ask?

Art by London as a birthday gift years ago before she was an almost 13 year old.
Honestly, I don't completely remember when it started or why. Like an old family nickname or something, it just is now. The was and how are a little hazy.

One friend inspired the shortening of it to a signature of just hH, somewhere along the way.

But I think it mostly comes from being left handed, a little bit (ok, a lot) sassy and some quirky mixed with creativity.

I am left handed. I do things backwards. When I was learning to contra dance I always twirled the wrong direction (and still do sometimes). We [the left handed society] tie our shoes backwards and push rather than pull pens across paper. I think differently than other people often and I believe this partially comes from being left handed, a slightly tilted perspective on the world. So if doing things backwards is my lot, why not write my name backwards?

Sassy, sarcastic, quick witted, etc. might also be words that describe me, but of course in the kindest and most uplifting kind way to be sassy and sarcastic. People ask me regularly if I know that my name can be spelled the same backwards and forwards. They don't state it as a neat fact like "hey, your name is spelled the same backwards and forwards, that's neat" they ask "did you know your name..." and I do appreciate them noticing. However, this has been my name my whole life. So yes, clearly, I know (and like) that my name is a palindrome and I notice other palindromic things as well. Some favorites are 'madam I'm Adam' and race-car. So perhaps I spell my name that way a little out of sass in response to a question I have oft been asked.

Quirky, creative, weird...however you want to label it. I have always been a misfit, fitting in enough to get by but never entirely, maybe not at all at times. At an early age I learned that I wasn't quite like the others. In order to live a life not of frustration and trying to hard, I owned my quirk, flew my freak flag if you will (ref: the Family Stone). I became ok with being a little outside the circle and often not fitting in.  So writing my name in a way that is unique of the other Hannahs out there seemed to be a good idea at the time (I guess, like I said, I don't remember when this started).

So why do I write my name backwards? I think all the above are true...

but mostly,

I like to write it that way and it seems other people like it too : )

5 comments:

  1. You are one unique lady. And I love you for all the quirky, sarcasticness. I love London's artwork. I hope you never lose your sweet sass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be one of the only mothers that loves her daughter's sweet sass. Good thing your mine.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always liked people who step outside the circle, so to hear that you see yourself that way makes sense. What makes you unique, I feel, is that you are honest. You don't fake or feign anything. You act and react honestly. There is a lot of posturing in the world, and you haven't been part of that for any of the time I've known you. You don't let others who matter to you get by with it either. Maybe that makes you unusual, but it makes you someone I love and trust. So, hannaH it is. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete