Monday, April 22, 2013

Seasonal Shifts

I like seasons.

Living in a place where the landscape changes every few months has always been a joy to me. Seeing that the world around us needs to go through different stages of life and death in order to be sustained is such a beautiful image.

Being a camp professional, the word season is also used to track your life. How many seasons have you worked there is a common question. I was at Camp Greenville for 6, Bonclarken for 4. Look Up doesn't quite count in seasons, but if it did I am going on 9 I think.

For a time I counted my life by seasons, and likely will continue to in some ways. The seasons shift and change.

This past season of my life has been very good, very full, very positive.

And a huge, huge part of that has been 2 lovely ladies that fell into my world about a week apart.

I had known Lindsey and thought highly of her, but never really got to spend much time with her. I had heard of Torrye and was told we were cut of the same cloth and would be great friends if ever we met.

Then one week in October I got a text from Lindsey in need of a place to live. I said, 'of course, but only if that means I get to hang out with you.'

She moved in a week later.

Such a beautiful bride!


Then the first week in Novemeber, Torrye came rolling into town for her winter off between seasons at Outward Bound.

And we indeed were fast friends, cut of the same cloth. (Whatever that means)

Post Mud Run.

Our time together was always enjoyable. Sometimes crazy. Maybe a little ridiculous. But always enjoyable. Hikes and movies and fires and mud run and fat kid Tuesday and weddings and crafts and coffee and laughs.

It has been a good season.

But.

The season of both of them in this setting and place has shifted.

Torrye headed back out to her new and old adventures on Friday. She will be back in Ely, MN for the summer season then off to the AT for the fall.

Lindsey is off to begin the adventure of the rest of her life in wedded bliss to Andrew. Their wedding was as lovely as them and I'm glad I was a small part of it.

So in a week they came and a weekend they left.

Not to say our friendship is over. But alas, the season has changed. I will dearly miss the girls that have shaped the past 6 months of my life. But I look forward to what the years of new seasons will hold even if distance and life stages separate us.

Thankfully I have a few new friends that have fallen into my world just in time to help the season shift a little smoother. And I look forward to another new season beginning and what may develop in weeks and months to come.

1 comment: