Thursday, May 1, 2014

We Went to the UK: Hostels

For the sake of saving money and for the goal of staying in a hostel before I turned 30, we went the route of hostels for our non-staying with friends portion of the trip.

If planning to stay in a hostel over a weekend, definitely book as far in advance as you can.

I learned this by not booking that far in advance. I assumed people who stay in hostels are last minute type people, but apparently if it is the weekend, I was little wrong.

We ended up staying at one of the Clink Hostels in London. It was a pretty reasonable experience. The price was within our budget and the location worked for us for what we wanted to accomplish in our time. It was a little more on the hip and partier side than I would prefer, but most things in a large city probably are. There was a place to hang out down stairs and I think I remember a pool table, but I could be imagining that.

We were able to drop our bags in the luggage storage and hit the town to see the sites. We returned to find our bags safe and secure in storage and our room packed like sardines with beds and people. (there was also a funky smell, but it was a hostel, so who knows what has gone on there in the past)


They offered a complimentary breakfast which was pretty tasty for the price! Nutella was always available and in little packets.

We left our luggage that morning in a mostly empty storage room and returned to a sea of luggage that we could hardly get through.


Overall, I would stay there again, but I would also like to try out a different location if I were to return to London.

In Edinburgh we stayed in the High Street Hostel. It was in a 400 year old building on the Royal Mile. I would absolutely stay there again. This one was recommended to us by my college roommate who had lived in Edinburgh for a little while right after college.





The staff and other guests were very friendly and offered great tips on where to go and how to get there. The breakfast was not complimentary, but it was the best cereal I have ever had. We were in this hostel 2 nights and the second night was a Sunday and we had our room to ourselves!

The only strange thing to me was that the bathroom was co-ed. Aside from my step dad, I have never shared a bathroom with a male. Walking into the bathroom and seeing a guy was a little startling in thinking I had gone in the wrong door. Ha.

If you plan to spend most of your time in the Old City, I would highly recommend this hostel. It was a great location and within walking distance from everything we wanted to do and see.

My first hostel experience was a pretty good one, I think, and I would not be opposed to staying in one again. Hopefully, that day won't be too far away!

No comments:

Post a Comment