Thursday, May 22, 2014

Half Marathon in January

Had you informed me a year ago that I would willingly register myself for a half marathon in January of all months, I likely would have called you crazy.

After having run a half marathon in January, it turns out I'm the crazy one. 

While I was running in the rain, which at one point poured in a very heavy downpour, I thought to myself, 'why are you enjoying this? What is motivating you right now?' And I still haven't come up with an answer. 

After my cousin Jennifer ran a half marathon a few years ago I thought it sounded like quite an accomplishment, but never thought I would ever want to do one myself. I was that person saying things about how running that much has to be bad for your body and especially your knees. Not that I was doing anything that was particularly good for my body at the time. (And if you asked my knees around mile 12 and for the full day after the race if they thought it was good for them, they would give an emphatic NO in response.)

I then met this friend named Sarah who was planning to run 13 half marathons in 2013. She was definitely crazy. But then one day while out on a walk, I thought, 'if sarah can run 13 miles, I can run 1.'

So I ran 1 mile that day back in march and 1.5 and then 2 the next week and then 2.5 the next and by May I ran 6 miles in one go without any actual training plan. 

And it seemed that I liked it. Sometimes I even craved it. But I'm still not sure why really. 

And 9 months after my first full mile run since knee surgery 8 years ago, I have ran the distance of a half marathon twice. Once on my own in the heat of summer. And now once in an official race in the cold rain of winter. 

As spring has been a little crazy, thus me writing about an event in January in May, I have not been running regularly. However, soon I think things might even out. And just a few days ago I was looking at plans to train for a full marathon.

I'm definitely sure I'm the crazy one now. 

1 comment: