Thursday, May 1, 2014

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

England was the 4th time I would be leaving the country by plane (and the trip to get a new stamp in my passport for my 30 by 30 goal). Haiti, Israel, and the Bahamas were my first 3 treks. So England was not the farthest, but 2nd place isn't too shabby.

When traveling I often seem to not carry the same anxiety as many other travelers. The only thing I ever seem to be concerned about is my luggage. Did I pack too much, will it get lost, can I take my crochet hook on the plane or is it a weapon? It generally doesn't even cross my mind that something could go wrong with a flight.

The first round of the trip I did not check my bags.

I prefer to not check bags because I want to be sure they travel with me and it keeps me from over packing. So no worries on the getting lost part and my crochet hook made it through security just fine.

My traveling companion also took my lead and did not check her bags. Thankfully.

The weather on the east side of the country was not being 100% cooperative and Jessi literally made the flight by 4 minutes. With how close she cut it, it would have been almost certain her bags would not have cut it. We had been texting throughout the day. When I landed in ATL, I received a text that said she might miss the flight because her flight from PA to ATL was delayed.

Right about the time we started boarding, I received another text that said she landed in ATL but was still on the plane. I checked in at the desk to ask if they would wait or if they had to close the gate even if we knew the person was at the airport. They said they had to close. So I advised Jessi to book it and go straight to the train and run to terminal F.

Thankfully, she made it to the train to the international terminal in time for them to assure me she would be fine.

She had to run. Duffle bag and all, Home Alone style, through the airport.

When they told me if she was on the train, she would make it, I went ahead and boarded watching the door for every passing person. Then there was Jessi! and I did a few fist pumps in excitement and we settled into our seats.

We sat on the runway for a little while and the pilot came over the intercom system and told us we were having trouble with the right engine. As in it wasn't working?! A few of our co-travelers and ourselves joked about this and how it would really be best to not tell us about engine trouble and let us assume the runway is congested. One of these co-travelers had an English accent making his jokes and the excitement for the trip (and to see my favorite Englishman, Andy) even better!

After a while the pilot came back over the intercom and said it APPEARED the engine was ready to go. Appeared, huh? I would like a little more certainty than that, but alas, we were off on our 8 hour flight.

Sunrise somewhere over the pond.

The meal was delayed because of turbulence, but it was actually very good. The best airplane meal I have had (not that I have had that many).

We had individual TVs with games and movies and music and I didn't sleep nearly as much as I should because of this.

We were given a second meal just before arriving in Manchester. The flight time passed surprisingly quickly.

Security was very also smooth and fast! Best experience I have had. Well, except when I went to Eluthera and we were on a private airline.

We made it to baggage claim to meet our taxi, which has already left without us. But Rachael hunted him down and got them to come back for us. This was my first ever taxi travel! Many people were surprised by this, but I have never lived somewhere that taxis are necessary. Our driver was funny and chatty. We told him it was our first time in the country and he said he wouldn't have come.

Not a cute UK cab, but it got the job done.

He had been to the States a few times, but only to FL for Disney.

We arrived at the Symesies' home and settled in a little and then began the on land part of our adventure.

We traveled by trains and cars and buses and a boat and I will write more on those in a later post!

1 comment: