Thursday, May 1, 2014

We Went to the UK: Food

One of the best parts of traveling to me is trying new things, especially food! If you went back in time to the painfully shy picky eater I once was she would probably think me crazy (and really old).

In Israel, the food was delicious and wonderful and I could not get enough. In the UK, the food was....good? They have much less flavorful options than the Mediterranean, but still interesting to try.


This was our Thanksgiving feast. Not quite up the Frost family standards, but a lovely meal shared with lovely people. 


Sweet potato pie I made via a recipe from Pinterest and Rachael already having all the ingredients. It was pretty good. (I messed up the crust ingredients, but the filling was great.) The English folk didn't seem to mind it either. They don't really do pumpkin.


Fish and chips in London on the river Thames. Pretty delish. The best part was the malt vinegar in packets right next to the ketchup.


This salad, latte, chips, and chocolate croissant were so good. It was our last meal in London. It was a reasonable price and a lot lighter on my traveling stomach than our previous food. I can't remember the name of the shop we got it at, but it was a chain that had as many locations as a Starbucks would here. 


My first ever crepe. How have I gone 29 years and never had a crepe?! It was delicious and from a street vendor at the Christmas festival.


This pork was just as good as any I have had in the Carolinas. Way to go Edinburgh. The bun was also quite tasty.


This is the Scotch list. Just varieties of Scotch available, nothing else. There were sooooo many.


This is the full Scottish breakfast. The baked beans were a little much that early in the day. Well the whole plate was a little much. But we were good sports and tried the haggis and blood pudding and whatever else they brought us. I wouldn't say I loved either of them, but I could eat them again if I had to.


Clearly they know how to do salt and pepper better than us. Pepper should have more holes than the salt, always.


Chai Latte and a scone with clotted cream and jam. This was tasty and good. Best chai I have had (aside from the Indian chai at the Forest) and the clotted cream and jam was delicious on the scone. Their scones are just better than ours. 


Curry from a jar, but prepared with love by Rachael. It was so good. We need to get up to speed with this in our grocery stores. You can get it at specialty stores, but not for the price or quantity you can in England.

Not pictured, but delicious and tasty is the tomato soup that Rachael made of her own recipe, the great cereal at the hostels and chicken Provencal we had at a festival. That chicken had the best seasoning I have ever tasted!

Overall, my taste buds were pretty satisfied on this trip!

1 comment:

  1. I like those salt and pepper shakers! Looks like the hostels were quite interesting. I'm kind of glad I didn't really understand the whole concept before you left-I'd of worried more :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete