Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Movin' on Up

Actually, I'm moving a little further south, not really up at all. 

This week is packing week. 

What have I learned about myself during packing week, you ask?

A few things so far. 

Thing 1: I am a bibliophilic. Not necessarily a book worm because I haven't finished reading half the books I own. Mostly I'm a book collector. And it seems that books are my largest collection of things that I own. My librarian mom and English teacher aunt are to blame (or thank) for this. 

Thing 2: I think I can turn anything into something. The amount of almost projects I have on hand at any time is completely ridiculous and unreasonable. I will never do half of them. 

Thing 3: I'm sentimentally attached to everything. As I start to sort through things I find myself an hour later in a pile of memories with no progress made other than making a bigger mess to clean up. 

Thing 4: I want to be one of those people that lives simplistic and minimally, but not enough to actually be one yet. 

Thing 5: Just because you have a whole house doesn't mean you should fill a whole house. I did well to keep 2 closets mostly empty and one full bedroom empty other than furniture. 

Thing 6: If you need a pen, half used notebook, or sharpie, I'm your girl! I have sooooooo many. 

Thing 7: I really like most of the things I own. 

Thing 8: It's good to move often because it forces you to clean out your stuff. 

As the week continues on, I will continue cleaning out my stuff and likely learn more things. And learning is never a bad thing!

5 comments:

  1. Memories of sitting with you as you packed for college come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I don't remember packing for college. I remember moving at college. And it seems I still need people to sit with me. Amanda took her turn last night an Riley tonight. We threw away sooooooo much stuff. (Mostly things I'd been saving for crafting, I have a problem.)

      Delete
  2. I agree that it's good to move often because it forces you to clean. I, too, want to be someone who lives simplistic and minimally...but I'm definitely not there yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday we can be simplistic and minimal. I'm guessing you won't have a huge problem with it when you move out of the country :)

      Delete
  3. Hannah, my sweet niece, you are such a role model. As I sit looking at the stacks of stuff on my desk, I have promised myself to throw out some of it before I leave the room. As for emotional attachment to things, the closet in this room actually holds a suit my mother bought for herself in the 1940's. I will never fit into it, as my mother was a tiny woman, but I can't seem to let it go. It has gone in and out of style several times. Sigh. Good luck with the packing!

    ReplyDelete