Thursday, March 27, 2014

Amazing and Not Happy

Before I get back into my blogs about the trip to England I would like to share a video.

I am likely way behind on sharing this.
I was likely way behind on viewing it.

When we boarded the plane back to Atlanta from Manchester, we approached our seats and I was a little deflated that there were not individual screens in our seats for our viewing pleasures.

Jessi immediately asked me, "Have you seen the Louis C.K. video, Everything is Amazing and Nobody's Happy?"

I had not.

So she explained it to me.

Her explanation made the duration of the flight much more enjoyable as I remembered that I was in a seat, in the sky, traveling through the air, across an ocean, in a matter of hours. I was not on a ship, with dysentery, for months on end trying to make it to a new land.

You can view part of it here.

And all of it here.

*Disclaimer: I cannot say that I support all of the comedy of Louis C.K.

Now when I fly or use my phone or anything that seems a little frustrating technologically, I try and remember that it is all amazing and I have no idea how it is really happening. Almost every time I fly I think to myself that I cannot understand how this works and part of me is a little afraid that because I doubt the physics behind the flight that we will just start plummeting to the earth because of my doubt.

So next time you are waiting in line, traveling a far distance in a short time, or waiting for your phone to communicate with a satellite, try and remember that it is actually pretty amazing even if it makes you wait a whole 20 seconds before it does what you want.


5 comments:

  1. I just saw an interview of Louis CK by David Steinberg. He seemed like an interesting guy. He can be a bit crude, I suspect, but his point is a very valid one. Your friend Jessi was cool to share this with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he can be very crude. But it is nice to think of this bit when being frustrated by the conveniences of life.

      Delete
  2. You cannot doubt physics. Thats like doubting that chocolate is good for you. And we all know it is at the top of the pyramid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. You did it. I'm starting a Pinterest page (regardless of endlessly pestering Kris about having her tablet tuned into Pinterest for about 10 hours a day). Still needs a title & it's a little complicated. But your plane comment about (maybe) having more of an attitute of gratitude is right on the money. If you ever look at it (and, or course, if I ever DO it) you'll discover Part Two of my challenge. Anyhow, thanks.

    ReplyDelete