Monday, March 11, 2013

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Back in high school I read an interview with Julia Stiles where she gave a do's and don'ts list for her life.

I only remember one of the things on the list and it was a do:

Cut your own hair.

Since reading it, I have daydreamed about just chopping my hair myself and seeing what happened. I love long hair and although I donate it every other year or so I still manage to keep it rather long and have never had the gusto to just chop it up and hope for the best.

This donation year however, something got into me, I got a little more adventurous.

The big cut of the full ponytail was done by a friend and was a few more inches than usual.

With it being shorter, it needed a little shaping as opposed to my usual no layers/straight across cut.

I considered my options to shape it up. Others encouraged me to go to a professional hairstylist. As it turns out the hair salon brought up more anxiety in me than going to the dentist (and I have a rather strong dislike of the dentist). I have not had my hair professionally cut since the 11th grade. After opening the door to Great Clips and immediately shutting it and turning around I went back to the drawing board for ideas.

The only viable option that came to me was just to do it myself. So that is what I did. I finally, legitimately, cut my own hair.

And I love it.

Don't get me wrong, when I let it dry and fall straight as straight can be, as my hair does, it looks like a home haircut. But when I give it some love with the curling iron, it doesn't look half bad.

So, Ms.Stiles, thanks for that encouraging push and idea that has been hanging around in my brain for the past 10 years or so.

If you are ever considering cutting your own hair, I say do it! Hair grows, how bad can it really be?

 the change.

*In case you were wondering where I donate to, or if you may want to make the cut yourself check out Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

 

7 comments:

  1. I like it! It looks good on you. I'm pretty sure I've seen your hair both long/short, so I feel like your hair grows relatively fast (or faster than normal).

    I've trimmed my own hair, but never cut off more than a couple inches. I cut it short back in 2010 and unless I did something with it every day, it wasn't my best look. Haha, I'll stick with long until it starts to look horrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the 3rd donation in the time I have known you. So you have seen both for sure.

      Delete
  2. I love it! You did a good job. I'm thinking you have a little bit of Aunt Peggy's talent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did watch her cut quite a few heads of hair in my time as the shop sweeper as a wee one.

      Delete
  3. My last $ haircut was in Kettering, OH during the first part of my first year of teaching -- 1969. I hated the result so much that I've cut my own ever since. But guys are a different matter I assume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think guy hair that isn't buzzed might take more skill than long hair actually. and good for you! Who needs to pay for something they do themself?

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete