Sunday, March 31, 2013

A List: 30 by 30

I am 51 weeks away from being 30. Here's hoping I can accomplish these mostly fun (but some challenging) goals!


Here goes nothing:

❏ Read 30 books: 10 memoir/biography, 10 novels/YA fiction, 5 challenging, 5 classics

❏ Write letters to 30 people who have significantly shaped part of my life

❏ Skydive with BFF before January

❏ Eat adventurously: try a new restaurant in Greenville each month, try a new recipe from a different country each month (and invite friends), if something new is offered, try it (within reason)

❏ Visit 3 states I have never been to

❏ Get a new stamp in my passport (repeats don't count)

❏ Go to a play/live performance

❏ Ride in a cab

❏ See 3 bands I have never before seen in concert

❏ Climb a new mountain

❏ Go to a game at Fenway park

❏ Study world geography/cultures, 2 months per continent (Australia and Antarctica combined)

❏ Complete a challenge each month (i.e. no chocolate, no eating out, etc.)

❏ Keep a gratitude notebook. Write at least one sentence a day.

❏ Take a pottery or woodworking class

❏ Just keep running – 3 days a week, Mud Run, Swamp Rabbit, Half Marathon in the fall

❏ 30 random acts of kindness

❏ 30 movies off the 100 greatest movies as suggested by AFI

❏ Visit the Cali cousins

❏ Rough draft a memoir of my 20s

❏ 5 days a week: floss, make my bed, no dishes in sink at night

❏ Successfully roll a kayak and go white water kayaking

❏ Attempt to learn djembe or another percussion instrument

❏ Reach and maintain lifetime goal weight

❏ Create a bucket list for the next 30 years to come

❏ Drink a cup of black coffee or tea once a week, at least, without becoming addicted

❏ Read the whole collection of one author (Roald Dahl or Lewis Carroll, perhaps)

❏ Cut my wardrobe in half (or more)

❏ Find the best froyo shop in town
 
❏ Drive to the beach and back in one day (with less than 3 days notice)
 
*The list is subject to change if any brilliant ideas come up throughout the year.

I would like to accomplish as many of these as possible with people, so if any sound interesting to you, let me know and we can conquer it together!

17 comments:

  1. I'm in: new restaurants each month, new mountain, best froyo (I know where it is!), black coffee (MUST do an official coffee tasting for you-- it's revolutionary), beach day trip, movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I'm so glad you fell into my life last month.

      Delete
  2. Roald Dahl beats Lewis Carroll any day! I have several of his you can borrow. Also I am aalllwwaaayys up for spontaneous beach trips! Hoorah for new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweet! Roald Dahl it is then. Beach tomorrow? :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got your kayaking training/adventure covered. I'll probably scream louder for your first successful roll than I did for mine.

    I'm so excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! and conveniently, I have a lake at our disposal for training :)

      Delete
  5. Replace skydiving with take mom to England :)
    hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't I put that on my next 30 years bucket list?

      Delete
  6. I'm no movie pro but I know what I like.
    If I were you, I'd see:
    1. Rear Window (a bit of a thriller) - it's very compelling... Jimmy Stewart & Grace Kelly & a rather different Raymond Burr (old TVs Perry Mason),
    2. African Queen - the wonderful Ms. Hepburn & the quirky Mr. Bogart in a far-off land [and war], and
    *** since the AFI idiots dropped David Lean's perfect Dr. Zhivago off their list *** substitute with David Lean's
    3. Lawrence of Arabia (if willing to sit for 3.5 hours).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Instead of (or along with) Lewis Carroll's stuff, there's a fascinating book about him called The Mystery of Lewis Carroll. He was a unique dude altogether and lots of people have (probably) labelled him all wrong.
    BUT - if the two basic Pooh books were not on earlier lists [but I think they were] they might substitute for the "supposed kids books but which adults should read" list. There's a bunch of Taoist (and other) wisdom snuck in amongst the little stories. They are really quite lovely books. [I can't believe I just used that adjective.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me laugh, Uncle Jeff.
      I think I will look into the Lewis Carroll book for the memoir/biography section.
      And lovely is one of my favorite adjectives.

      Delete
  8. Did my husband really use "lovely" to describe books? Lovely. This is a wonderful list! Let me know if I can help with the book parts. You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can help with the books part! I have a list going of books I would like to read in general. But if you have 1 really awesome, little known YA book to recommend and 1 classic that is a must read, please share!

      Delete
  9. I would love to give you some good YA and classic novels! I've been reading some good stuff lately, and I started a book club. :) This is an awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughh I don't know why it didn't publish me as my name...but, if you couldn't tell, it's AC ;)

      Delete
    2. :) What kind of book club did you start? And I would love, love, love to hear your recommendations!

      Delete