Wednesday, November 28, 2012

dear rory gilmore #3

do you ever wonder what happened to your favorite characters later in life?

where are they now, what are they doing, did they fail/succed as an adult, are they still friends with the other characters, did that long lost relationship ever come to fruition?

recently, my book worm cousin, emilee, informed me that one of my favorite book series had a '10 years later' installment released last year.

 
the sisterhood of the travling pants series became a favorite of mine one summer probably 6 years ago.
 
if you have seen the movies, i must say that having read the books, the movies do not do the sisterhood justice.
 
each book was a book that i could not put down. and ended wanting more. and thankfully at that time there were 4 books in the series.
 
finishing each book in record time, i wished i hadn't read them as fast so that i could spend more time absorbing the characters and their stories.
 
but then i came to the end of the 4th book.
 
i wanted to know where their lives went, what they became, did they stay united without the pants?
 
now don't get me wrong, i love using my imagination to develop the future lives of my favorite characters, but when the author lets us in to know what happens in the imaginary world inside their mind, that is a delight.
 
if you are a fan of the sisterhood, i recommend the 5th installment. but be forewarned, there are some twists and turns that made me want to throw the book away without finishing it. but as any good book should, it kept me wanting more, and i just had to know what came of my old friends lena, tibby, carmen, and bridget.
 

3 comments:

  1. Somehow I did not know you liked these books. I cannot imagine how that happened?! However, had I known, you would have had the 5th Amazoned to you the day it came out. I LOVE these books. I didn't like the movies as well, either, though I do think Amber Tamblin was a great Tibby.

    Brashares has written a couple other books, but none with characters who resonate with me as these have.

    I should have guessed you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think, in general, it is a series that kind of falls through the cracks to most as they recognize them as movies and not books. so maybe that is why, they just never came up. even though i thoroughly enjoy them.

      and considering the movies as just movies themselves and not in reference to the books, i enjoy them. but as representations of the books and story, i do not because they changed some major story lines and crammed 3 books into one movie.

      i have read the last summer (of you and me). i dont recall liking it that much. it was good, but no sisterhood. i havent looked into her other stuff.

      Delete