Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dear Rory Gilmore,

my all time favorite TV show is Gilmore Girls which came out when i was in high school. on more than one occasion i have been compared to rory gilmore. as i packed for my trip i referenced the Gilmore Girls to myself, as i often do.

rory is a book worm. now i will never be quite the worm as rory, but i do have a large love and appreciation for books. maybe because my mom is a librarian and my aunt was an english teacher. or maybe just because books are that wonderful.

below is a link to a montage including the clip that shows the particular episode that i referenced to myself as i packed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpRMjxtViHA

rory and her mom are going on a trip and her mom is trying to talk her down from her 12 books she has packed for the trip.

using the same logic as rory i had a stack of 6 books that i wanted to bring on my trip to Israel. (not included in those 6 are a Bible, journal, and sudoku which make the cut no matter what.) i wanted a fiction story, an easy read, a memoir, a favorite that i can read over and over again, some short stories, some nonfiction, etc. because you just don't know what you will be in the mood for.

as i packed i needed to talk myself out of some of them. it is likely i wont read much on the plane and even more likely i will not read at all when we are on our tour and learning about so many things.

so not in rory gilmore fashion, i have talked myself down to 2 bonus books.
- a lineage of grace by francine rivers
- a collection of short stories by mark twain


a lineage of grace is a collection of fictionalized stories of women in the Bible. i think it will be pretty neat to read them where they would have taken place. and the short stories by mark twain i have owned for a long time, but never completed. maybe this trip will be the time.

and if these don't pass the time for me, i found the old handheld tetris that i 'borrowed' from my sister long ago.

this time tomorrow, i will be somewhere over the atlantic ocean!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you chose Francine Rivers. Love the clip-and yes books are just that wonderful! BTW-that's why I like my Kindle :)Except-the Kindle doesn't smell that good!

    Praying for you and your trip-I'm looking forward to hearing all about it! Love you-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if ever i have a life where i travel more than i stay, i would get a kindle. but only then. because i like to hold a book.

      Delete
  2. Okay, I totally loved this post for several reasons, some of which are probably obvious. I own all the Gilmore series videos and I can see now that it's time to watch them again. I am so excited for your trip! I actually just printed the itinerary so I'll know where you are each day. Have an amazing time and DO tell us about it !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kris! and i must say, i think it is always time to watch gilmore.

      Delete