Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hey Staffers

2013 Summer Staff (and Petey)
 
 
 


They were here for 3 months.
They have been gone for 3 days.


I tried to not get to know them this year. To not hang out with them as much. That lasted about a week. Then I caved.
 
And now, as it has for 9 summers of my life, my heart hurts a little.
 
Camp is a weird place. Being a camper and having to leave after a week was the first way I experienced this feeling. But for 9 of my 11 post high school summers I have experienced this weird thing that is working at a camp.
 
You spend 3 months with people who become your dearest friends, spending countless hours together working, playing, eating, sleeping, pranking, crying, laughing, talking, dancing, etc. Then it ends. Usually abruptly.

For 4 of these summers I got to be the one on the leaving end. 

For the past 5, however, I have been in the crowd that stays after the dust settles on what seems like an eternity of knowing someone but also on what went so quickly it almost feels as though it didn't happen.

If you have never worked somewhere that you live and eat with the people you work with, it is likely hard to understand.

But these people that arrive every May and leave every August, although a different collection every year, seem to capture my heart in the same way.

(The 4 that have been here my 3 summers at LUL.)
 
They likely make silly choices and get on my last nerve at some point in those 3 months. They are in the way as I try to get to my desk. They ask questions I don't know the answer to. They don't have a water bottle today. They may have just broken that thing over there.....
 
(Sometimes, they like to take pictures of themselves on your phone.)


but...

They serve their hearts out and have a blast doing it.

(My favorite night of teen camp this year.)

They get up early and work really late. They do things even when they don't want to. They do things even when you don't ask. They jump up to help when they see a need. They love each other, they love their kids, they love well. They sing silly songs, slosh thousands of dirty dishes, fix scraped knees, teach kids about the joy they have found in life, play rec games, and get up the next day and do it all again.

These staffers are quality individuals. And although I miss them right now and wish they could stay, I know it is best for them to go back to real life.

 

This summer is high on my list of preferred summers in my life. And there are many things to attribute to that.

But.

I know that highest on that list was getting to know and love these 24 college kids. Go out and serve well (but come visit us sometimes too). 

2 comments:

  1. This..."I have been in the crowd that stays after the dust settles on what seems like an eternity of knowing someone but also on what went so quickly it almost feels as though it didn't happen.

    If you have never worked somewhere that you live and eat with the people you work with, it is likely hard to understand."

    Brought back a ton of camp memories for me. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was just beautiful. The camp workers have been blessed to spend the time with you, serving God. What a joy to be part of their lives and make memories for all of you to hold. So proud of you and the work you do. Keep following God's lead.

    ReplyDelete