Thursday, January 12, 2017

To Guatemala We Go!

We are less than 48 hours from arrival in Guatemala! (And I haven't even begun to pack.)

For some on the trip, this will be a first taste of Habitat and for others, an international trip with Habitat has been a goal for quite some time. I am one of those others.

We will be traveling to the red pin.

My journey with Habitat began 10 years ago this month. In January of 2007 I moved to a city to which I had never been and only knew one person. I made this move to begin my year of service as an AmeriCorps member working with Habitat Wake. I certainly did not know what I was getting myself into nor what that next year or even 10 years would bring.

The foundation of "my" house, January 2008.

Though I entered my AmeriCorps service with much uncertainty and was pretty touch and go those first few months, I am now certain that I was meant to choose that path and be where I am today. My Habitat journey has been a meandering one that has had me in roles as an AmeriCorps VISTA and National member; a participant in a Carter Work Project; a volunteer (when I could squeeze it in amongst the long hours and non-traditional schedule of camp life); an Alumni house leader for the AmeriCorps Build-A-Thon; a ReStore employee getting my foot in the door in hopes of moving on up; a Volunteer Coordinator (because that foot in the door method worked); and now a co-leader for a Global Village trip!

Build-A-Thon May 2016

I am often not exactly sure what it is that draws me to Habitat, but I am certainly drawn in.

The others going on the trip feel the same way, I'm sure.

Our team is made up of 12 individuals who collectively have 64+ years of experience as staff, AmeriCorps, and volunteers with Habitat. We have 5 Habitat Greenville staff members on the team, all with varying positions and backgrounds. (Three of us served as AmeriCorps at different affiliates many moons ago.) Another 3 of our team members are part of our Quality Assurance Team (QATs) who are volunteers that we could not do our work without. One of their daughters will also be joining us as well! The last 3 members of the team are involved in our Habitat Young Professionals (HYP) group. Our Global Village Team is quite a range of ages and personalities and because of that we think it will be a fantastic first Global Village experience!

Most of the team!

I know I am excited to work hard and see how an international affiliate operates. And I am sure the others on the team are as well!

We welcome your encouragement and prayers as we travel and work to fulfill the vision of Habitat: a world where everyone has a decent place to live.

Thank you to all who have supported and continue to support as we make this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment