Saturday, January 7, 2017

I Smell Snow

Last night we awaited the start of the snowfall. I peeked out the door and took in a deep breathe.

I smelled snow!

Sometimes the weather tracking technology is wrong and what they predict doesn't happen. But sometimes it is right. And sometimes even when you don't know if you can trust the meteorologists you know you can trust the smell of snow in the air.

Yesterday vs. Today

I love snow. Maybe even adore it. It is one of the many traits I have inherited from my mom be it via nature or nurture. I did not move to the south to escape winter, I miss it. And when we get the rare city shutting down snowfall I want to take in every minute of it.

One of the most magical things in life is going to bed with the hope of snow and waking up to a winter wonderland! I love how the snow comes in overnight like a surprise gift for those who love it. (I'm sure there is some scientific reason as to why it seems snow comes in overnight more often than during the day, but I don't care to know. I like to think it's magic.)

See, don't these just look magical? Or Seussical at least?

Sometimes snow and I are not happy with each other because it causes plans to cancel and change. (I was supposed to high tail it to OH tonight, but I think that will not be happening.) But even with the cancelled events and plans changed I think what snow often does is actually really lovely. It forces rest and community (if you want it). Jobs that don't usually take a day off get to shut down for a brief moment. It draws neighbors out to the yards and hills for fun and shenanigans. It highlights the beauty of the landscape you might not notice otherwise. It calls you inside under a warm blanket with a book (near a window of course so you can still see the snow).

Snow lends itself to special meetings and memories made. Friends getting snowed in for a night or two is always nice. (This year it was planned for and invited.) My first meeting of all the camp kids where I used to work took place on a snow day almost exactly 6 years ago. Close to two years ago in the midst of a terribly difficult life season it called us out to make the biggest snow man we have ever made and forget the troubles plaguing our community of friends for a few hours. Last year we explored the hills and the various objects we could sled with while enjoying the company of roommates.

6 years ago
2 years ago
I LOVE snow.

It's magical. And lovely. And inviting. And hoped for.

And now as it is the early morning hours, I will remove myself from this post to go enjoy a hearty snow day breakfast before heading out into the winter wonderland to enjoy the magical things that happen in the snow!

I will leave you with this:
Snow ninja, just for good measure.
Also: Ref. Gilmore Girls, Season 1, Episode 8 Love and War and Snow

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this post!!! It truly is magical. Fantastic photos, BTW. Have a fun day in the snow-ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love running in the snow, especially when it was coming down in big flakes. It was like being in my own little world. I still get mesmerized watching big flakes drift down. I think the most quiet the world seems is when snow has muffled all the sounds. It is magical. I loved reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete