Monday, December 9, 2013

Surprise Visits

It was just over 7 years ago that I began my plan to run...I mean move away from home.

Over the past 7 years I have kept up fairly regular quarterly visits to the great state of Ohio.

Some of these visits have been well planned and well announced.

Some of them have been a little last minute and not announced.

The latter is my favorite kind.

I have successfully made surprise trips home twice. (Which is a 100% success rate as I have only attempted it twice) Both of these were for birthdays. The first was my mom's 50th a few years ago. There may have been a little truth stretching involved, but none the less she was completely surprised that I made it home for her actual birthday AND that we pulled off a full family surprise party.

2 months ago I pulled off another birthday surprise.

With Dylan getting a little older, I figure she will begin to remember whether or not I visit for her birthday or this or that thing.

It is hard to believe she is now 8.

I got the invitation to her party as usual, but this time it seemed that maybe it was possible to go rather than being bummed about the distance at which I live.

The work schedule was pretty light. My car was in good working order (as it usually is) and I was feeling like a little decompress time in the car.

So, I drove to Ohio (via Nashville to see some other friends) and successfully surprised Dylan for her 8th birthday.

This year she was having a Duck Dynasty themed party, which having worked at a camp I had the perfect collection of clothes to make a suitable outfit for the party.

 
We enjoyed a morning at Ma's making headbands and then headed home for all her little friends to come and make s'mores and hot dogs and run a muck in the back yard.

I'm not always keen on the there and back in a day trip to Ohio, but this trip was well worth it! It was a tear filled hello and goodbye for Dylan, but those tears are what make me know any effort I can put in to being the best aunt that I can is 100% worth it.

Hopefully there can be more surprise trips in the future!

2 comments:

  1. And we are all so happy when you come home. But run...really??? Haha... Love you and love anytime spent with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an aunt is awesome, isn't it?

    We all love your visits!

    ReplyDelete