Monday, December 9, 2013

A Day in Maine (plus a half)

The destination of the whole trip: MAINE!

We reached Maine fairly late in the evening and would not be out to explore until morning.

We slept off the drive and first thing in the morning I went for my usual morning run/walk. Which was particularly easier than around here with the flatness : )

 
So many little white churches.
 
Around me were colonial looking houses, a few cemeteries, and fog. It seemed like a flat and average landscape. Little did I know, there were rolling mountains and hills surrounding as well as lovely farms and buildings.

After the fog.
 
Once the morning fog burned off, we went exploring.

 
We found a hike that Torrye had never done. It was called Pleassant Mountain and offered 360 degree views of the surrounding area. As well as an old fire tower that said no where to stay off which we took as an invitation to climb.

Fall was in full glory!
 
 
The hike was rather steep, but short. It was well worth the view from the top and the interesting folks we met on the trail.

 
After the hike, we grabbed a snack and headed to Conway, NH to see the touristy downtown and the lovely views of the New Hampshire mountains.

 
 
New Hampshire Mountains
 
In my travelings I like to try different brands of ginger ale. Zeb's convenience store in Conway had some of the best that I have ever had!

After Conway, we headed to the Fryeburg Fair! I love fairs! And although this fair was in Maine, it could have been the Highland County fair in Ohio that I grew up going to. Same food, same games, same rides, same girl showing her cow in her cut off t-shirt, wranglers, and boots.

A goat playground!
 
Antiques
 
The best part of course was the Zipper. The BEST fair ride known to man. We rode it twice!

Best. Ride. Ever.
 
After the fair we returned home to the Hart's (quite wonderful hosts) to have my first ever surf and turf experience. I personally dropped our live lobsters in the boiling hot water to out them to their timely death so that we could enjoy their delicious insides.

Ahhhh!
 
One of the best meals I have ever consumed.
 
Somehow it came up that I had never even had lobster so we were directed to come home for dinner and that was what we would have, and it was good!

We ate under the stars on their back deck and it ended a day that was indeed a day well spent.

The next day was off to the Portland airport to head home, but first a stop at the Portland Headlight. It was a lovely lighthouse and fantastic few of the Maine coast. Sadly, I accidentally deleted quite a few of my pictures, but I at least have the memories I guess.

Portland Headlight
 
 
For a quick trip, I think it was a fabulous use of our time and I would love to go back and spend a little more time in the lovely state of Maine. If you are ever near Fryeburg, make sure you look up the Harts. They know how to treat a guest well!


The view after the fog lifted.

1 comment: