Saturday, August 11, 2012

book art

in recent artistic endeavors i have come to thoroughly enjoy art with words on it. i dont think i have made any art in the past 3 years that didnt have some word or quote on it actually.

for a while now i have been trying to decide how to turn my favorite peter pan quote (*see below) into something to hang on my walls.

*'it would be delightful to report that they reached the nursery in time...but then there would be no story.'

i probably saw this on pinterest and cannot claim this as my original idea...

but the idea that hit me last week or so was book art.

as in, you tear up a book and turn it into a piece of art to hang on the wall.

at first, being the daughter of a librarian and the niece of an english teacher (and a few other teachers and avid readers), i couldn't bring myself to tear up the book. i thought maybe i would just keep the used copies i acquired and start a peter pan collection and become a crazy book lady as opposed to a crazy cat lady.

but then i made the first tear.

and it was actually rather satisfying to destroy a book and turn it into something else.

i should have taken pictures of the step by step process, but i get too involved in my projects to be hindered by pausing to take a picture or each step.

here are the final products:

the quote is from the live action movie, but is very similar to a sentence at the end of chapter 3 in the book. this one will hang in my tv room, where many a story is watched and told.
this is actually a quote from the movie hook. tinkerbell is talking to grown peter pan. i am going to make this into a sort of head board.

this is a going away present for my pal and coworker landon.


this is also a gift. it is for my friend kendall.



if you aren't ok with tearing up a book, you can check out this website that has a different kind of book art:
http://postertext.com/
i have been debating on purchasing the peter pan one for about a year now, but can't bring myself to spend $32 on a poster.

i am pleased with the project and look forward to such a simple gift idea for the future. so if you have a fave book and a quote from it and a birthday, let me know and maybe you will receive one of these.


even though i kind of like tearing up the books, i still might become a crazy book lady with multiple copies and editions of my favorite books...

6 comments:

  1. I have to say-I love the book art, no matter how painful it is. I'm glad to see you reuse a book that may have just sat in a sad state of loneliness on the shelf. And you know I love art and words. Very coooool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Little Women poster. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gasp! (just kidding) Clever idea and a cool gift for someone you care about. I do appreciate your respect for books, of course, but making one into visual art just adds one more way to express its ideas and your own. I remember the first time I actually wrote in a book that was not a textbook. It was freeing. Maybe this felt that way, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it did. and i love to make notes in books and encourage others to write in mine when i loan them out.

      Delete
  4. I love it Hannah! Very creative and clever!

    ReplyDelete